Sunday 2 September 2012

Baking, Baking, Baking.


On Saturday I baked some banana bread and today we made cakes together. 

Sometimes I wish our adventures were more...adventurous. I worry that you'll be 18 and asking me things like; "what did we do through my childhood?" and my answer will be 'we made cakes, we coloured, played with toys, made up our own songs, you started to create your own language the way I did as a child and we went to the park now and then.' It just doesn't sound any different to the childhood's of those around you.  I want to be able to tell you that we climbed mountains together, swam in shark infested waters, ate mangoes plucked fresh from trees in exotic lands and generally did more 'wow' things than making cakes and finger painting. 

But it's okay that we're making different adventures, it's okay that this is our life right now and you're happy to be baking, to be colouring, playing with toys and living in one of the most beautiful countries in the world (you're so fortunate for that) and that's fine by me. It's okay that our adventures are baking, baking, baking. Baking is in my blood, I come alive when I am making and creating and I've noticed that you have that same passion, that same glint in your eye as I do. More frequently you beg me to help you cook so hopefully these kitchen adventures are exciting for you, hopefully it's 'enough.'