Sunday 3 April 2011

Happy Mother's Day.


Happy Mother's Day to my Mum.

She's a mother to four children, Granny to three grandchildren and comes from a long line of strong, independent women who can take care of their homes, DIY, stretch a budget, cook for twelve*, entertain and educate children, make clothes, have babies and so much more!

I love my Mum loads. We haven't always been best friends (and you know what Super Nanny thinks of parents as best friends so perhaps it was for the best!) but now we definitely are. I love spending time with her and being in her company. Everyone who meets her likes her - I have yet to meet someone who doesn't.

She's a good Granny and loves to spend time with her grandchildren. She loves them equally and whole heartedly.  She isn't interfering or overpowering.

I know if I mould myself into the sort of Mum she was that I will be doing a good job with raising Roman.

"I grew up confidently expecting to have a profession and earn my own living, and also confidently expecting to be married and have children. It was fifty-fifty with me. I was just as passionately determined to have children as I was to have a career. And my mother was the triumphant answer to all doubts as to the success of this double role. From my earliest memory she had more than half supported the family and yet she was supremely a mother."

- Crystal Eastman. 

Thank you, Crystal Eastman. Thank you for putting into words exactly how I would describe my own Mum, expectations and upbringing.

So a Happy Mother's Day to all the Mama's out there.



And to one of the best Granny's in the World: Thank you for being my Mother's Mother. Without you we wouldn't be here and without you we wouldn't be who we all are. You've created this family from the ground up.

Get Well Soon.


*and this happened on many, many occasions. Especially at Christmas time with missionaries who were far away from their own Mama's.